Sunday 14 August 2011

St Georges Church and Hall 1856 - 1864

Good Day

I hope you can advise me where to find any info and photos.

I am currently writing the story about my ggg g/father, Prof Ira Hirst from his UK beginnings to the Port of Natal in South Africa.

He worked for the Liverpool Town Council from 1856 to 1864 but not sure as what but must have been related to his profession as a Music Professor. The Liverpool Mercury classified ads also shows him as choir master, organist and conductor for St George's Church as well a music teacher. He resigned owing to 'bad health' in 1864 and moved his young family to Natal in SA where he pioneered the import of musical instruments and orchestras in Natal. He died at the early age of 49 in SA.

I have hit a wall in trying to find out more info about music in Liverpool at the time and would love to find old photos and records which would include him.

I thank you in advance for any info you can supply me.

Kind regards
Peppa Hirst

1 comment:

  1. There may be reference material about your ancestor in a book about the musical history of Liverpool by someone called Stainton B Taylor.It covers 200 years and is,I’m told the definitive work on the subject.There is[again I'm told]a copy of said book in the library of the Athenaeum,Church Alley,Liverpool.

    ReplyDelete