A selection of Liverpool history questions submitted to the Liverpool History Society.
PLEASE USE THE NEW BLOG @ http://liverpoolhistorysocietyquestions.wordpress.com/
Hello Jean,yes Blackburne House it still standing and is now Blackburne House Centre for Women.The house built for John Blackburne in 1785-1790. He was Mayor of Liverpoolin 1788, and the building was originally a detached mansion situated in the countryside.In 1874, the original house was rebuilt and enlarged to house the Liverpool Institute High School for Girls, a companion to the alreadyestablished Boys' School. It continued in this role for 110 years,turning out such as Edwina Currie. After remaining empty for some years,the school was extensively refurbished and reopened in 1994 as Blackburne House Centre for Women. RegardsRobLiverpool History Society