Wednesday 7 October 2009

Sayers Bakers

Hello,
I wonder if you could help me with some research into our family history?

In my father's line, Worthington, I find a great Grandmother, an Elizabeth Rigby Sayer. This lady, I am told, is part of the Sayers Bakers family, and indeed two or three of the male members of Dad's family were employed as "Bakers Shop assistant", "Flourman", "Baker".

I see that the Sayers business was incorporated into a much biger Group of Companies, Lyndale Foods, who are still based in the area.

If it is possible, can anyone please give me a lead as to where I might get more information, or does anyone in your Society have any interests in this connection.
In the 1920's, my Grandfather Worthington was a coal merchant in the Princess Park area, and I believe his horses were entered into a local show, and won prizes as shire horses. I would like to know of any records of either his business and the name of the Show and his prizes.
Thank you for taking the time to read this message, and your response will be helpful.
Sincerely Heather Ward
(North Yorkshire)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather did you get any help with this.not related but if you need a hand email lesley.culshaw@blueyonder.co.uk ttfn.Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather, not sure if this is a help I was employed by 'sayers the bakers' in 2000 and yes it has since changed names to 'Sayers the better bakers'and its new head office and bakery is in manchester (happened in 2008/2009)
    I had been in the liverpool head office/bakery and i can remember there being a large plaque stating how long sayers the bakers had been going. (was a while, im sure it was coming up to 100 years but dont quote me)
    Tales of days gone bye, some of the old girls on the shop front would tell of the times Mr&Mrs Sayers would come visit each shop at christmas and thank each of them for all the hard work and even deliver a small gift.
    I do belive that Mr&Mrs Sayers passed the family business on to the children and it was after them, that it was incorporated into other groups.
    Best of luck and i do hope you come back to read and post, ill flip back from time to time.
    Regards
    Stacie x

    ReplyDelete